Potato Pancakes RecipeCourse: BreakfastCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Easy
4 large potatoes (Russet or Idaho)
1 medium onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup vegetable oil or Crisco
1 tsp salt
- Finely grate potatoes with onion into a large bowl and drain off any excess liquid. Use the smallest side of your box grater. The potatoes should be like a mush. Then grate the onions the same way.
- Mix in egg, salt, and black pepper.
- Add 4 tablespoons of flour to mixture.
- Turn oven to low, about 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Drop two or three 1/4 cup mounds into hot oil, and flatten to make 1/2 inch thick pancakes. Fry, turning once, until golden brown.
- Transfer to paper towel lined plates to drain, and keep warm in low oven until serving time or for an even better result squeeze out the water in a kitchen towel. Repeat until all potato mixture is used.